Home » History » South Petherwin Wesleyan Chapel

South Petherwin Wesleyan Chapel

Opening of the new Wesleyan Chapel at South Petherwin: Designed by Mr Norman & Hine architects, of Plymouth and built by Messrs Blatchford & Son, builders, Tavistock, the chapel was opened on the 28th May, 1872.

The building is of a simple Gothic character, spanned by a timber framed roof and covered with slates. The walls are built of rough stone quarried in the neighbourhood and finished internally with cement. The doors and windows are pointed with granite. The principal entrance is by double doors opening into a porch from which is the entrance into the body of the chapel. At the further and on the left side of the communion is the pulpit, on either side of which is a transept. The pews are divided by an aisle into two groups; the aisle is paved with beautiful encaustic tiles. The pews are of polished pine, with sloping backs, bookboards, and hat rails, and of uniform width and appearance, no distinction having been made between the appropriated sittings and those for the poor. All other fittings and the roof timber exposed to view are stained and varnished. It is well lighted and ventilated, and heated by means of a hot air apparatus. Sittings are provided for 350 persons.

Adjoining the chapel are a commodious school and two class-rooms, the former being built to accommodate nearly 100 children. Extensive stabling has also been built for the accommodation of those who live some distance from the chapel.
The dedicatory service was read by Rev Gervase Smith of London; Miss Rawling laid the foundation stone.

The Chapel had its roof fully insulated and re-slated in 2017. Here can be seen the work as the slates were being applied in July 2017.