Home » History » Chapel History » Methodist Chapel 90th Anniversary

Methodist Chapel 90th Anniversary

Above the 1962 re-opening of a refurbished Methodist Chapel on the 90th anniversary.

May 1962 was quite an important month for South Petherwin’s Methodist Chapel. Not only was to re-open after a complete renovation inside and out, but it also proved to be the Chapel’s 90th anniversary having been built in 1872. A large gathering was experienced for the day’s ceremonies. Above in the picture are Rev. J. Bartlett Healey (acting superintendent minister) Rev. S. Ogden Schofield, the Mayor of Launceston (Mr. S. G. Adams), Mr. J. C. Wills (chairman), the Mayoress, Mr. Graham Jasper (treasurer), Mrs. K. Elford (the opener); Messrs C E. Gillbard, S. Davey, C E. Davey (also secretary), O. Jenkin, E. S. Davey and J. Goodman  who are all trustees; Mrs. Cole, wife of the senior chapel steward; Messrs John Parsons and Gordon Uglow, trustees.