The Parish Council are looking for a Dog Fouling Ambassador, in response to Cornwall Council’s anti-dog fouling campaign …
An evidence-based anti-dog fouling campaign
After a successful pilot of Keep Britain Tidy’s ‘We’re Watching You’ anti-dog fouling campaign in Cornwall, Cornwall Council is now inviting 15 additional Town and Parish councils to take part.
About the campaign
For the pilot phase, Cornwall Council distributed 80 ‘We’re Watching You’ signs with their signature glow-in-the-dark eyes to 8 Town and Parish councils across Cornwall, who then monitored their impact over a five-month period.
The results were impressive. The signs reduced dog fouling by an average 73% across the 8 trial locations.
To apply to join the campaign, the Parish Council must appoint a Community ambassador …
The Community ambassador should:
- Be a proactive, positive member of the community who feels strongly about tackling dog fouling.
- Be a resident in the community who is preferably not directly associated with the Parish council (e.g. not an employee or councillor).
- Have a strong social media presence in the community.
The Community ambassador is required to:
- Conduct an initial cleanse of the site to remove all dog fouls.
- Carry out two visits to the site, one week apart, before the signs are put up, to count the number of dog fouls for a control figure.
- Put the signs up in the agreed locations.
- Carry out a single visit each week for three consecutive months to count the number of dog fouls, cleaning the site of dog fouls after every second visit.
- Record the weekly counts in the digital monitoring sheet, which will be provided.
- Champion the campaign on social media and in local newsletters etc.
- Post updates and images of the signs and any positive outcomes on dog fouling reduction on Community Facebook pages.
- Share Cornwall Council’s social media updates on the campaign to Community Facebook pages.
- Contribute articles to the Parish council newsletter to further inform residents of positive campaign activity.
If you are interested in becoming South Petherwin’s Community Ambassador, please contact the Parish Council:
Expressions of interest must be received in time to submit our application by 6th November 2020