Minutes of the meeting of South Petherwin Parish Council held on Wednesday 11th May 2022, at 7pm, in South Petherwin Village Hall.
Present: Cllr P Parsons (Chairman), Cllr A Barham (Vice Chair), Cllr A Finnimore, Cllr A Jasper, Cllr M Screech, and Cllr S Rogers.
In Attendance: Linda Coles, Parish Clerk and Cllr A Parsons, Cornwall Councillor.
There were four members of the public present.
Item 1. Chairman’s Welcome. The Chairman welcomed all to the meeting.
Item 2. Apologies: Apologies were received and accepted from Cllr Butler, Cllr Barlow and Cllr Kneebone.
Item 3. Declarations of Interest.
- Agenda Items. Cllr P Parsons declared an interest in Item 8a) PA22/03758. Cllr Screech declared an interest in Item 8a) PA22/03758.
- Gifts. None declared.
Item 4. Consideration of written requests for Dispensation. None received.
Item 5. Unitary Councillor’s Report.
Cornwall Council has secured £132million over 3 years from the Shared Prosperity Fund which will replace European funding.
Heads of Terms are being worked up for the Forest for Launceston but they are not in a position to engage with the outside community at present, until the work is complete.
A new recycling and waste initiative has been launched at Launceston Recycling Centre; this will take hard plastics, old buckets, flower pots etc.
Cllr A Parsons gave some statistics for the Planning Committees; East Area Planning Committee has had no appeals against it in the last year; there were 5 appeals against the West Committee; 6 appeals against the Central Committee and 1 appeal against the Strategic Planning Committee.
Cornwall Council has produced four schemes to be put forward under the Levelling Up but there is nothing for North Cornwall and it appears that the Cabinet is making the decisions. There is a Metro Project for mid Cornwall, which will provide a sustainable transport network through the middle of the County; two bids for St Austell and Helston both regeneration schemes and the Stadium for Cornwall.
Cllr A Parsons said that he has no update on the Launceston Leisure Centre.
Cllr A Parsons has asked Oliver Jones, Highways, for clarification on a few issues that have been raised at Daws House but has received no reply to date.
Item 6. Public Participation.
A member of the public wanted confirmation that there will be a Firework Display for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, and was willing to donate towards it if necessary.
Cllr Barham suggested that local businesses are approached for sponsorship of the fireworks and will advertise for sponsors in the Parish Magazine.
A member of the public spoke about the planning application PA22/03758 and gave details of the business and the need for a replacement commercial building, with new workshop, parts store, and office accommodation and demonstration space. This development will provide an efficient modern working space.
A member of the public was pleased that the planning permission has been approved for the Recycling Centre and is pleased with the conditions that have been imposed as part of the permission. There are conditions on Knotweed, smell and noise.
Item 7. Response to Public Participation. Not applicable.
Item 8. Planning.
- Planning applications received before the agenda was finalised:
- Councillor P Parsons and Cllr Screech left the meeting having declared an interest, it was RESOLVED that Cllr Barham, Vice Chairman, takes the Chair for this item, proposed by Cllr Finnimore, seconded by Cllr Jasper with all in favour.
- PA22/03758, Tregillis Gate Office, Hendra Lane, South Petherwin, Launceston, Cornwall. Demolition of commercial workshop and replacement new commercial building (Use Class E), incorporating workshop with parts store, office accommodation and demonstration space; with extension to existing curtilage to permit proper siting of proposed building.
- The plans were circulated and there was some discussion following which it was RESOLVED to support this application, proposed by Cllr Rogers, seconded by Cllr Finnimore with all in favour.
Cllr P Parsons and Cllr Screech returned to the meeting and Cllr Parsons resumed the Chair.
- Planning applications received after the agenda was published: None.
- Planning decisions notified by Cornwall Council:
PA22/02654, Denley Barn, South Petherwin – Approved
PA21/11671, Treguddick Manor, South Petherwin – Approved
PA21/11670, Treguddick Manor, South Petherwin – Approved
PA22/01444, Land South of Chapel House, South Petherwin – Approved
- Other Planning Matters. None
Item 9. Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 13th April 2022.
It was RESOLVED that the above Minutes are a true record of that meeting. Proposed by Cllr Barham, seconded by Cllr Finnimore with all in favour who had been present at the meeting.
Item 10. Matters Arising from the above Minutes. The Coffee Morning has been postponed.
Item 11. Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Event
The programme is being put together. The Clerk will register the Beacon. The SP Community Trust awarded £500 towards the Jubilee celebrations but not to be used for fireworks. The commemorative mugs will be collected during the Cream Tea on Friday 3rd June at the Village Hall. ACTION: CLERK
Item 12. Launceston Forest.
This is ongoing and it is important to keep the conversation moving forward.
Item 13. CPR Training. Deferred to the next meeting.
Item 14. Dog Bins.
The Clerk has sent another email to Biffa regarding a bin and contract for emptying it. ACTION: CLERK
Item 15. A30/B3257 Junction at Bodmin Moor Services (Plusha)
Cllr P Parsons will look at a photo opportunity with the Chairmen of the local Parish Councils.
It was RESOLVED that the Clerk will write to Scott Mann, MP, in relation to the levelling up funding that has come to Cornwall. Can the Parish Council have an assurance that funding for a Grade Separation Junction at Plusha will be included? The locality using the junction is wider than just the local Parishes and it will be a huge benefit to Cornwall. Proposed by Cllr Screech, seconded by Cllr Barham with all in favour.
Item 16. Highway and Footpath Matters.
- Daws House. The situation is being monitored and the Clerk will arrange for a meeting with Oliver Jones, Highways, at the end of June. Comments will be invited via the Parish Magazine. It was reported that the Speed Watch Team visited yesterday. ACTION: CLERK
- Solar Light at the footpath at the junction between Trelinnoe Close/Trelinnoe Gardens. Cllr Barlow purchased a solar light but it has been removed. It was RESOLVED that the Clerk will purchase two solar lights at a cost of £21.99 to be screwed to the fence. Proposed by Cllr Barham, seconded by Cllr Screech with all in favour. ACTION: CLERK
Item 17. Correspondence. None
Item 18. Finance
a) Payments. It was RESOLVED to make the following payments, proposed by Cllr Barham, seconded by Cllr Jasper with all in favour:
- Online – L Coles, Clerk’s salary etc. for April
- Online – HMRC, PAYE for Clerk, April
- Online – A Peerless, April toilet cleaning – £56.00
- Online – Source for Business, water bill for public toilets – £29.70
- Online – Zurich Insurance, Annual Parish insurance renewal – £541.81
Receipts: Cornwall Council Precept – £4400.00
Cornwall Council CTS Grant – £24.83
Cornwall Council CIL Payment as per signed Agreement – £5750.39
b) Bank Reconciliations. It was RESOLVED that the bank reconciliations for April are correct, proposed by Cllr Jasper, seconded by Cllr Finnimore with all in favour. As at the 30th April 2022 the bank balances total £40,706.25.
c) CIL Payment. The Clerk explained that the money received can only be used for infrastructure.
Item 19. Any Other Business
Cllr Jasper will check to see if the repairs to the Notice Boards have started. ACTION: CLLR JASPER
Item 20. Items for inclusion in future meetings
None brought forward
Item 21. Date of next meeting. The next meeting of the Parish Council will be held on Wednesday 8th June 2022 at 7pm in South Petherwin Village Hall.
There being no further business to transact the Chairman closed the meeting at 20.30 hrs.