Minutes of the meeting of South Petherwin Parish Council held on Wednesday 9th February 2022, at 7pm, in South Petherwin Methodist Hall.
Present: Cllr P Parsons (Chairman), Cllr A Barham, Cllr J Barlow, Cllr J Butler, Cllr A Jasper and Cllr R Kneebone
In Attendance: Linda Coles, Parish Clerk
There was one member of the public present.
Item 1. Chairman’s Welcome.
The Chairman welcomed all to the meeting.
Item 2. Apologies:
Apologies were received and accepted from Cllr Finnimore, Cllr Screech and Cllr Rogers.
Cllr A Parsons, Cornwall Councillor, also sent apologies.
Item 3. Declarations of Interest.
- Agenda Items. None declared.
- Gifts. None declared.
Item 4. Consideration of written requests for Dispensation.
Item 5. Unitary Councillor’s Report.
Not present at meeting.
Item 6. Public Participation.
The member of the public said that the Minutes published on the website are not true records. They are not displayed in the format produced and have no page numbers. These and the policies etc. are not easily printable. It was stated that this is not a reflection on the Clerk. The Clerk will look in to this problem. ACTION: CLERK
Item 7. Response to Public Participation.
Item 8. Planning.
- Planning applications received before the agenda was finalised: None
- Planning applications received after the agenda was published: None.
- Planning decisions notified by Cornwall Council:
- Other Planning Matters. None
Item 9. Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 12th January 2022.
It was RESOLVED that the above Minutes are a true record of that meeting. Proposed by Cllr Jasper, seconded by Cllr Barlow with all in favour.
Item 10. Matters Arising from the above Minutes.
No matters arising.
Item 11. Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Event
The working group had met to discuss this event and a budget has been produced. It was RESOLVED to proceed with the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee event, proposed by Cllr Barham, seconded by Cllr Jasper with all in favour. The Clerk will look at securing funding for the event. ACTION: CLERK
The cost of commemorative mugs for the children of the Parish was discussed and it was RESOLVED to purchase 150 at a cost of £2.95 per mug (plus VAT which is reclaimable), proposed by Cllr Parsons, seconded by Cllr Barlow with all in favour. This is to be funded from the Parish Council budget. ACTION: CLERK
It was RESOLVED that the Clerk will apply to the Community Chest for funding towards the printing of the Newsletter. Proposed by Cllr Parsons, seconded by Cllr Barham with all in favour. ACTION: CLERK
Item 12. Coffee Morning.
There will be a Coffee Morning on Saturday 19th March 2022 in the Methodist Hall.
Item 13. A30/B3257 Junction at Bodmin Moor Services (Plusha)
The Clerk had circulated information received from the Altarnun Parish Clerk and Cllr A Parsons. There was some discussion on the merits of the suggested short term measures made by Altarnun Parish Council. Any closure of the junction will impact on the surrounding Parishes’ and communities’ A, B and unmarked roads. South Petherwin particularly would see an increase in traffic through the village and over the historic Trekelland Bridge, which is not fit for huge volumes especially of large vehicles. It is well documented that traffic will increase significantly in years to come. It was RESOLVED that the Clerk will write asking the Highways Agency to continue with further investigations and costings for the grade separation scheme as proposed on 21/1/2015, which was ready for public consultation at that time. It is disappointing that the proposals of this scheme have been left ‘on the table’ for the past seven years and not been progressed. It is felt that this scheme will provide the safest junction and a solution to this problem and it would be beneficial to proceed with the public consultation on it. Proposed by Cllr Butler, seconded by Cllr Kneebone with all in favour of the statement being sent. The Clerk will send copies to the neighbouring Parishes and the local MP. It was RESOLVED that the Chairman will attend the Lewannick Parish Council meeting next Tuesday and will liaise with that Chairman and the Chairman of Altarnun Parish Council regarding a cohesive statement to the Press, proposed by Cllr Barham, seconded by Cllr Jasper with all in favour. ACTION: CLERK
Item 14. Highway and Footpath Matters.
- Trelinnoe Gardens/Close footpath adoption. The Clerk has submitted the Modification Order to adopt the footpath. Cllr Barlow sent a video report of the footpath which runs parallel to the B3254 and joins the path at New Den which needs maintenance. The Clerk has reported this to Cornwall Council. ACTION: CLERK
- Speed Awareness Campaign. There is no date yet for the commencement of works at Daws House.
- The Traffic Calming Feasibility Study. As far as can be ascertained, the 20mph speed limit by the school has been approved and budgeted for. The Clerk will request information on the remainder of the Feasibility Study; how it is to be costed, design and consultation and a possible timeframe for delivery. ACTION: CLERK
- The Clerk will look at the Community Network Highway Scheme, download the application form and liaise with the Chairman about the details of what elements to apply for funding for. CLERK
- The Clerk will look at costings for flashing speed signs. ACTION: CLERK
Item 15. Dog Bins.
Deferred to the March meeting
Item 16. Correspondence
- Email questions regarding the Speed Awareness from resident. The Chairman will reply to the resident. ACTION: PP
Item 17. Finance
Payments. It was RESOLVED to make the following payments, proposed by Cllr Barham, seconded by Cllr Barlow with all in favour:
- Online – L Coles, Clerk’s salary etc. for January
- Online – HMRC, PAYE for Clerk, January
- Online – A Peerless, December toilet cleaning – £56.00
- Online – Cornwall Council, recharge for May 2021 Elections – £255.00
- Online – Source for Business, water bill for toilets – £44.43
Bank Reconciliations. It was RESOLVED that the bank reconciliations for January are correct, proposed by
Cllr Barham, seconded by Cllr Jasper with all in favour. As at the 31st January 2022 the bank balances total
Item 18. Any Other Business
Cllr Barham said that the Village Hall is thinking of holding coffee mornings and hopefully lunches will soon be starting at the Frog and Bucket pub. The Village Hall and Parish Magazine Committees are starting community events and could perhaps join forces with the Parish Council on some of them.
Cllr Barlow said that the footpath from Trelinnoe Close to Trelinnoe Gardens is not wide enough for two people to pass and it is dark in some places. Cllr Barlow asked about the possibility of a solar powered light to enable people to see their way.
Cllr Butler asked about the possibility of holding a CPR training course.
Cllr Butler also reported that a visitor had commended the cleaner on the cleanliness and presentation of the public toilets. The Clerk will write a letter of thanks to the Cleaner. ACTION: CLERK
Item 19. Items for inclusion in future meetings
- Solar light at Trelinnoe Gardens footpath
- CPR Course
Item 20. Date of next meeting.
The next meeting of the Parish Council will be held on Wednesday 9th March 2022 at 7pm in the Methodist Chapel Hall.
There being no further business to transact the Chairman closed the meeting at 20.10 hrs.